Previous find of the month - 7/2017
Roll up! Roll up!
A celebration of local events from the 1980's
From war games, to orienteering, to art exhibitions, in the mid 1980s with the bicentennial looming the Canberra Tourist Bureau (CTB) was gathering as much intelligence as possible on events happening in and around the Canberra region. Looking at these records gives us insight into the recreational activities of Canberrans in this period. What were we attending, and perhaps more significantly, what were we performing, creating, collecting, participating in, and sharing with the community?
In the June Find of the Month ArchivesACT explored the ‘Canberra Means Business’ campaign which aimed to increase business opportunities in the region. One major strategy of the campaign was to increase tourism, and in the 1980s additional funding was provided to the CTB in support of this goal. From producing promotional material to preparing event calendars and even running scripts on the electronic noticeboard at the Jolimont Centre, the CTB were proactive in spreading the word to locals and tourists alike.
The Canberra spirit is evident in the records of the CTB who gathered and distributed a significant amount of promotional material on behalf of local artists, creators and community groups. For this reason the CTB collection of promotional material during the Canberra Means Business campaign are ArchivesACT’s July Find of the Month.
ArchivesACT hopes you enjoy joining us for a lighted hearted look at these images. If you have any mementos from these events, we would love you to share them with us. Why not tweet about it and don’t forget to include @ArchivesACT.
Click on an image to view the full record.
Arts and Crafts
Theatre, Music and Dance
If you are interested in finding out more about the 'Canberra Means Business' campaign, or you would like a copy of any of these records please contact ArchivesACT through our “Request a Record” service.
To view the original documents you can also contact us to arrange a suitable time to visit the Archives ACT Reading Room located on the top floor of the Woden Library.
- 99/0824 - TOURIST BUREAU - COMING EVENTS CALENDAR - 1987 INFORMATION SOURCES
- 87/8774 – DEVELOPMENT DIVISION CANBERRA TIMES SEMINAR “CANBERRA MEANS BUSINESS”
Credits (in order of appearance)
- Rod and Joan Roche
- Arts Council Gallery
- Crafts Council Gallery
- Cuppacumbalong Craft Centre
- Canberra Spinners and Weavers
- Beaver Galleries
- Canberra School of Art
- Southlands Gallery
- Canberra Bike Week Sponsors
- YMCA Sailing Club
- ACT Cross Country Club
- FX FJ Car Club of Canberra
- Canberra Riding Club
- ACT Orienteering Association
- Australian Street Machine Federation
- Canberra Canoe Club
- Tralee Raceway
- Human Veins Dance Theatre
- Canberra Symphony Orchestra
- Sound Events
- Canberra Jazz Club
- Canberry Fair
- Canberra Repertory Society
- Canberra Youth Theatre
- Canberra Theatre Centre
- Jigsaw Theatre Company
- Interact Theatre of Canberra
- The Victoria State Opera
- Queanbeyan Players
- Royal National Capital Agricultural Society
- Canberra Festival
- Ethnic Communities Council
- Fuschia cuttings - unknown
- Genealogy and Heraldy - unknown
- Australian Railway Historical Society
- Rotary Club of Canberra
- Philatelic Society of Canberra
- National Library of Australia
Previous Find of the Month
If you do not already have compatible software on your computer, free file readers/viewers can be downloaded from the following links.
- PDF files require Adobe Acrobat Reader
- PPS files require Microsoft PowerPoint Viewer
- XLS files require Microsoft Excel Viewer
- Word files require Microsoft Word Viewer